Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why I am a Follower of Jesus

I had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday in which he asserted that the main reason I am a Christian is that my parents raised me that way. So, I am asking myself, is that really so? If that is the ultimate reason I am a Christian, then can I really expect anyone to care about the message of the Gospel which I proclaim?

I have several things to say in response to my co-worker's statement.

1) I do think my parents played a role, even a significant one, in me becoming a Christian. They sowed seeds of the Word in me that the Spirit of God used to bring me to Himself, to bring to life my dead heart.

2) I do not think my parents' teaching me about the Bible and taking me to church was any more of a guarantee that I would continue in those ways than is it a guarantee that a person whose parents do not teach them those things will not want to follow Christ later in life.

3) The ultimate reason I am a Christian is the same that for why anyone is a true follower of Jesus; namely, because God loves me and has reconciled me to Himself through His Son Jesus. He opened my eyes to see Him as more beautiful than anything, more desirable than anything, and for the first time, I really wanted HIM. So, when God purposes to reconcile someone to Himself, He cannot be thwarted by anyone or anything, regardless of upbringing, environment, geography, etc. So, no one will be excluded because of what they have or have not been taught, nor because of where they were born and lived. Certainly there are some who have not and will not turn to Christ for their removal of guilt. But, God is Sovereign and brings all of His children to Himself. The preached word is often the means of that happening, and Christ is the only way for that to happen, but some report that God is even bringing people in hostile Islamic cultures to Himself through visions and dreams.


Now, even if I were to grant his assertion, it could not be true that the main reason I am STILL a Christian is because my parents taught me that way. Why you say? Well, I have a hunger for the truth, and have sought to see if the claims of the Bible and of Jesus can be sustained. What I have found is that they certainly can be - beyond any reasonable doubt. Further, I have talked with people of very different worldviews (atheist, universalists, Mormon, Jehovah's Witness), and have not found them to be sufficient in their claims to the truth nor in giving meaning to life.

Ravi Zacharias offers the following as tests for truth, and I have found these to be so helpful. I hope you will too. Any worldview must provide all three in order to be true:

1) Logical consistency - it must not be contradictory to itself. For example, it cannot claim to be all inclusive if it excludes those who are exclusivists.

2) Imperical adequacy - does the evidence support the claims?

3) Experiential relevance - truth maters. Would the claims matter?

Ravi also explains that for life to have meaning, we need
- Wonder
- Truth
- Love
- Security

These are what I find in being a follower of Jesus, and cannot find in other worldviews. They have not passed the tests for truth, and even if they can provide wonder and love, they still lack truth and security in giving meaning.

So, in short, this is why I am a follower of Jesus - purely God's grace - grace has given eyes to see, a mind to ask questions, and a heart to believe. Now how about you? Do you care about truth? Do you want your life to be meaningful? If so, here's a challenge for you, look at Jesus - he's not hiding anything. Ask questions to a Christian who's willing to spend the time with you that it will take to help you get some real answers. I'll even volunteer.