Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm Not Perfect - But I Will be Perfected!

I will admit it freely, I'm not perfect. I know - tell me something I didn't know already. Well, maybe I will. Maybe you can relate to this too: I want to be a better person than I am right now. If you don't feel that, maybe you're not looking at yourself very honestly, and just go ask your spouse or co-workers if you could be any better.

This past week, our pastor taught on Philippians 1:3-11. It concerns the change that God brings about in our lives after we begin following Christ ("gospel transformation"). Verse 6 says this, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." God is the one spoken of as beginning the good work, and the day of Christ Jesus is when Jesus will return to earth in all of His glory, and He will be the ruler of the earth. This verse promises that my Sovereign God, who breathed spiritual life into me and gave me faith (at the same instant by the way) will most certainly complete the work He has already begun in me. I, and all of God's beloved children, will be perfected.

One of the tough parts of gospel transformation for me has been the waiting. I mean, we have to wait for the completion of that transformation at "the day of Christ Jesus." I so wish sometimes that I could simply take off my old man like I take off my coat (Eph 4:22), and that I would then be done with it. In reality, my sinful nature has received the fatal blow through Jesus' crucifixion and my crucifixion with Him, but it will take the rest of my earthly life for my flesh to bleed out.


Reading earlier this week in Galatians I read, "For through the Spirit, by faith we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness." Eagerly is a good way to describe it - I want it somethin' serious! My hope as the beloved of Jesus, is to be in the presence of our great God and Savior, with my glorified/resurrected and sinless body. Ponder that - just try to imagine that - in HIS PRESENCE! I'm talking unhindered experience of HIS PRESENCE. What a day it will be! What joy there will be, what freedom (from sin, shame and guilty feelings, and freedom to worship recklessly) on that day and every one after it. No more hoping, or waiting, only experiencing and wondering at His infinite glory in ever increasing measure!

LORD, we look forward to your kingdom coming!

No comments: