Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Testimony to the Grace of Jesus Christ

My Testimony
My parents faithfully took our family to our local church gatherings most Sunday mornings (United Methodist Church). I spent my pre-teen and most of my teenage years thinking that Christianity was essentially a moral code that I obeyed to love God and be admitted to heaven when I died. I was pretty good at keeping the rules that people would measure to see if I was a “good Christian.” I was even admired among my peers in high school because of my good religious behavior. But, in hindsight I was just a Pharisee with no desire for the glory of God, no real grasp of the gospel.

I entered Mercer University in 1997 to study engineering. I had other desires as well as I went into college, evil desires to throw off the moral chains that had been holding me. I was ready to experience the lusts of the world. Thankfully, God had other plans for my life. Because of my love for playing the guitar, I was asked by a classmate from high school who was involved with the BSU worship team to play with their band. This put me under some good teaching once a week. With eclectic atmosphere at Mercer, I was hearing differing beliefs from Baptists, Presbyterians, and Methodists, and I did not know where I stood. God was very gentle to me as He changed the direction of my life. What started happening was that I had a burden to go deeper with God. I actually interested in the things of God, in studying the Bible and knowing Jesus. I started a study of Romans with a friend and began understanding the gospel. At that time I also met the wonderful lady who is now my wife. She taught me how to pray and have personal devotions (something I had never done before!). I started going to her church gatherings, Mabel White, and was shocked at the spiritual life in the corporate gatherings. That too was something I had never experienced.

My Understanding of The Gospel
Even in the four years, my understanding of the gospel has grown much. I am realizing how deep my religious “rule-keeping-for-righteousness” roots go. My pastor, Keith Watson, has committed to having the gospel of Jesus be central to every sermon, believing that the gospel is not only something we believe for justification, but that which also sustains us as believers until we are at last glorified. This weekly saturation in the gospel has helped to give me a much better understanding of the gospel.

I understand the gospel to be that God has come in the flesh as Jesus, who lived a sinless and perfectly righteous life, yet was crucified and died, but was raised to life having born the curse for the sin of man, and will give his righteousness to our account simply because of our believing and trusting in Him, and will bring us to dwell with God for eternity. This gospel is to be proclaimed to the whole world and disciples are to be made for the glory of God. I also believe that as we call people to believe in this gospel, we are to call them chiefly to the enjoyment of God for eternity.

The Gospel's Affect
The most notable change in me since my conversion to the gospel has been in my desires. Whereas before my conversion I did good things, it was not done joyfully, but rather under compulsion to be admired by my peers and to earn God’s favor. Now, however, I see God at work in me, giving me His desires and a love for His glory and renown. More broadly, the gospel is affecting every area of my being: how I am a husband and a father, an employee, a neighbor, a steward, and a citizen.

My Calling
After college, I had occasional opportunities to teach adult Sunday school classes. I really began to enjoy teaching in 2006. I credit this enjoyment to a better understanding of the supremacy of Christ in all things and understanding of expositional preaching/teaching, which I have gained mostly through John Piper’s ministry. So, through this teaching I sense God’s call to teach and preach.

As I have had opportunity to preach at the Macon Rescue Mission, God has further clarified my calling to teach and preach. Through my seminary experience, especially in a course called "Pastoral Counseling," I have had an increased desire to shepherd the flock of God, spurring us on toward treasuring the gospel of Christ.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

congrats! keep up the good work/this is a great presentation.
Carpenters